Friday, September 23, 2011

A Mad Flip to the Exchange….

For the last few years I’ve hosted a little pre-holiday get together for all my friends to celebrate the coming of the Christmas season. Oh, lets be honest…we get together to drink. I call it a ‘cookie exchange’ and we bring some cookies to, well, exchange but its really just an excuse for everyone to leave their normal Saturday lives and come over for some cocktails and munchies. I try to come up with a different food & cocktail theme each go-round. Two years ago I did a French theme, complete with the French 75 cocktail (later drunkenly renamed ‘Gin & Juice’), lots of French cheeses and an unsuccessful attempt at a Croquembouche.

As this party is just about 2 months away I am wondering what – if anything – to do this year. Should I take a break and just ignore it and let it pass? Part of me wants to do just that…but it DOES end up being a good time, regardless of the anxiety and planning.

I’ve been tossing around the idea of having a Mad Men inspired party. Not overly cheesy or costume-y but just embracing the early 60s potluck party. Maybe tart it up a bit with a subtle wardrobe request, a fancy signature cocktail and a modernized take on a traditional potluck menu. As this party is, at its heart, a cookie exchange I might ask each guest to bring a 60s inspired cookie recipe. Maybe this request will cause a couple guests to call their moms and rope them into the inspiration and fun.

 
Thoughts?

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I'll bring my fondu set! Although I doubt it will get any use, we'll just skip right to the booze..