Thursday, September 22, 2011

Creepy...

So in talking with a friend about starting her blog I remembered I actually HAVE a blog eventhough I have ignored it for sometime. When I logged in I discovered my last (and first) post was three years ago TODAY.

In honor of the 'Snack' portion of my blog title I want to mention a low carb soup I made last night. I have been trying to stay as low carb as possible for the last year+. Recently it has been difficult to find recipes that don't bore me to tears. sweet sweet sugar-coated carby tears. Now that I am back from my bread-filled trip to Chicago I am returning to the '20g or less carbs per day' routine so I was on the prowl for a scrumptuous meal I could pack for lunch.

Enter the CHEESEBURGER SOUP recipe. hello.

What do you typically pile on your cheeseburger? Ketchup? check. Mustard? check. Pickles? check. This recipe adds it all...and it actually tastes good.

(It would taste even better on nachos)

I found the recipe here and changed it up a little, based on the produce I had on hand. If possible I always substitute fresh ingredients for canned items.

This recipe is not for the faint of heart. This is a definite low carb (only) recipe. Fat and sodium are pretty high even in my edited version so be warned. After tasting this recipe I think it would be delish as a smaller serving, maybe added to a veggie omelet or used as a dip (pork rinds?...vomit).

My version of this recipe:

Makes 5-6 servings.

2 lbs Ground Beef (You could use ground turkey if you wanted to reduce the fat content)
½ Onion, chopped
32 oz Beef Broth
3 Plum Tomatoes, chopped
3T Yellow Mustard
3T Low Sugar Ketchup (Heinz)
2T Dill Pickle Relish
2t Arrowroot Starch
Warm Water (1-2T should be enough)
4 oz Cream Cheese (Light Philadelphia)
2 Slices American Cheese (Deli Select)
2T Real Bacon Bits

Brown ground meat and onion. Drain any excess liquid. Add meat mixture, broth, tomatoes, mustard, ketchup, 1 tablespoon of bacon bits, and pickle relish to a soup pot. Cook over low heat (slow simmer) about 25 minutes. Dissolve arrowroot powder in a little warm water and add to soup. Let simmer another 5-10 minutes. Reduce heat. Cut cream cheese into blocks and add to the hot soup, stirring until blended. Add American and cheddar cheeses and stir until blended. Just before serving, add last tablespoon of bacon bits (or save to sprinkle a little on each bowl).

Approximate carb count:
5 Servings: 6.4g
6 Servings: 5.4g

No comments: